In the event of a drill or actual fire, either the smoke detectors or fire alarm will sound.
- Leave the building in an orderly fashion, using the nearest fire exit, staying low to avoid smoke inhalation.
- If the fire alarm has not been activated, pull the closest fire alarm as you exit the building. (If the fire alarm has already been activated, there is no need to pull a second alarm.)
- Fire exit maps are located in the hallways on each floor. Familiarize yourself with your escape route as soon as possible after arriving on campus.
- Close the door of your room as you exit, reducing the fire’s spread and damage.
- After exiting the dorm, meet in the assigned areas to be accounted for (see 7 below). Under no circumstances should you reenter a burning building!
- The following areas have been designated as meeting points:
- Wellons Hall: the small gazebo next to the Admissions office.
- Jackson Hall: the steps of Taylor Chapel.
- Drum Hall: the Northeast section of the Quad between the Aaron Building and the Taylor Music Hall.
- Melton Hall & King Street: the east end of the residential parking lot beside the hill.
- Terrace/Village (if utilized): the middle of the Terrace parking lot, on the grassy knoll.
The Director of Campus Safety will announce when you may reenter the building.
In the event of an actual fire, do not reenter the building unless cleared by local Fire Department personnel!