Marking an unprecedented nine-year season of growth and fundraising at Emmanuel College, President Michael Stewart says he will be moving on to other ministry opportunities at the end of this summer.
In 2005, Dr. Stewart was inaugurated as the eighth president of Emmanuel College. He graduated from Emmanuel in 1977 with his Associate Degree and in 1979 with his Bachelor Degree from Emmanuel College School of Christian Ministries. He also holds a Master Degree in Counseling from Liberty University, a Post-Graduate Certificate from Beeson Institution of Advanced Church Leadership, and the Doctor of Ministry degree from Assemblies of God Theological Seminary.
“Dr. Mike Stewart has certainly made an indelible mark on the campus of Emmanuel College and in the hearts of all the people here. His visionary leadership has brought us to a whole new level of recognition and respectability. He and Pam have been such an integral part of campus life. It is hard to imagine Emmanuel College without them. Although we are sad to see them go, we certainly want what is in their best interest and support them in this decision,” says Mrs. Linda Thomas, EC Board of Trustees Chair.
During President Stewart’s administration, significant efforts to enhance the campus are evident in the renovation and building of new residence and athletic facilities, expanding academic and athletic programs, and improving the quality of campus life, including these additions:
- the new Roberson Hall which houses 288 students in contemporary apartment-style housing;
- the new Shaw Athletic Center, the largest facility ever built on campus, which includes Williamson Basketball Arena, Roberson Aquatic Center, Shaw Fitness Center, and Rotando Bowling Lanes;
- the new Stephens Athletic Fields, an eight-acre complex;
- new entrance marquees, a library plaza, and extensive campus landscaping;
- seven new academic programs and nine athletic programs;
- reaffirmation of SACS COC accreditation for another 10 years and recent approval of fifth-year reports;
- full membership into the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU);
- more than 275 students have received Christ and been baptized;
- more than 300 students and 18 faculty volunteers ministered to more than 1,000 people and served locally and abroad more than 18,720 hours during the 2012-13 academic year.
Also, the growth and success of Emmanuel College have garnered national attention, such as these:
- ranked Tier 1 by U.S. News & World Report in 2013 and 2014 and recognized as a Best Regional College;
- renamed to the President of the United States Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll;
- renamed as a Military Friendly Institution;
- approval for provisional membership in NCAA Division II.
“It is estimated that with cash and in-kind contributions, we have raised between $25 to $30 million in the last nine years—an unprecedented amount,” President Stewart says.
“While the past nine years have been filled with achievements, stress has also taken a toll on me and my family," he says, while referring to “a time and season for everything” from Ecclesiastes 3.
“I’ve come to believe that, for Emmanuel to continue to move forward, she needs new energy, new vision and new ideas,” President Stewart says. “I have, therefore, announced my plans to step down as president with my resignation being effective on June 30, 2014.
“While I may not be here on a daily basis, Emmanuel will travel with me in my heart for the rest of my life; and I will continue to work enthusiastically for her success,” he adds.
We invite you to show your appreciation to Mike and Pam Stewart by giving in their honor to EC’s 95 Years Advancement Campaign.
To give online by credit card, go to www.ec.edu/give, select "Give to – 95 Years." Please write “Mike and Pam Stewart" in the special request section.
To give by check, please footnote your check with “95 Years – Mike and Pam Stewart," and mail it to Emmanuel College, P.O. Box 129, Franklin Springs, GA 30629.
For more information, please visit www.ec.edu/alumni/95 or contact Brian James at 706-498-0210 or email@example.com.
Thank you in advance for honoring Mike and Pam Stewart and for your support of the mission of Emmanuel College. May you be richly blessed!
Founded in 1919, Emmanuel College is a Christ-centered liberal arts institution that strives to prepare students to become Christlike disciples who integrate faith, learning and living for effective careers, scholarship and service.
It is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees.