In case of fire, either the smoke detectors or fire alarms will sound.
Students, faculty and staff should do the following:
- In an orderly fashion, exit the building, staying low to avoid smoke inhalation.
- If the fire alarm has not been activated, pull the closest fire alarm when exiting the building. (If the fire alarm has already been activated, there is no need to pull a second alarm.)
- Familiarize yourself with the layout of the building. Escape routes are posted throughout buildings in areas easily accessible to everyone.
- If you are the last person to exit a classroom or office, close the door, reducing the fire’s spread and damage.
- After exiting, meet in designated areas (see 7 below) to be accounted for. Under no circumstances should you reenter a burning building!
- To prevent personal endangerment and obstruction of emergency responders and equipment, do not leave the assigned areas until cleared to do so by your Area Leader.
The following areas are designated as safe zones for fire evacuation:
- Aaron Building: Center of quad and grassy knoll near gazebo
- Admissions/Financial Aid: Field behind Admissions
- Gym/Café/Bookstore: Hill beside Franklin Springs PH Church
- Library: Parking lot of Wellons Science Resource Center
- Maintenance: Gate entrance next to tree line
- Nash/SCM: Behind Gym
- Student Life/Wellons Science: Wellons resident parking lot
- SAC: Baseball Field
- Swails Center: West parking lot next to tree line
- Taylor Building/Taylor Chapel/Cafeteria: Center of Quad
- Teacher Education: Tennis Courts
Note: These areas have been selected as initial meeting places after consultation with local fire officials. If the area becomes dangerous, the Area Leader will direct the group to a safer place.